Edward Enders and Henry Higgins out collecting firewood. Henry was one of nine children born to Sanders and Barbara Higgins. Henry was born in Higgins’ home behind their store on Church Street on September 27, 1900. When his father passed away suddenly in 1908, Henry helped his mother at the Higgins Store, along with his other siblings. Edward Enders was a life-long Winfield Resident who was in the first class to complete the eighth grade at St. John the Baptist School in 1918. He later served on the Winfield Board of Trustees from 1934-36
Sterling Passenger Train Wreck
Sterling passenger train wreck at a Winfield railroad crossing in 1903. An engineer and fireman were casualties in the accident. According to reports, the regular engineer had taken the day off, but was still on the train, riding coach. The substitute engineer had run the train too quickly on curves, and this wreck was the result.
Meat Market Wagon
Peter Schmidt’s Meat Market Wagon. Peter Schmidt was a butcher in Winfield, and his shop was on Chicago Avenue, then the commercial hub of the tiny village. His family often helped him at the shop, and the Schmidt home was next door to the market. Peter obtained the nickname “Butcher Pete” while working at a butcher shop in Chicago prior to coming to Winfield.
Looking south along Park Street (formerly St. Paul Rd.). John Kosusnik’s home was along the east side of this road, with William Zeier’s home being further east. Along the west side of this road was Peter Schmidt’s Ice House (for his meat market), the Nicholas Schramer home, and the Rutschman home.
Joseph Kline and family
Joseph Kline (in car) and family, c. 1930. Joseph married Anna Fortman on April 22, 1914, and they had three sons – Robert, George, and John. The Klines resided at the family farm that is now known as Kline Creek Farm, a living history center that is located along County Farm Rd., just north of Geneva Road.
Peter Schmidt and friends
Peter Schmidt and friends at a group picnic in Roselle in 1911. Those pictured are (l-r): Al Schmidt, Mary Schmidt (Zeier), Nicholas and Anna Schramer, Peter Schmidt, Mary (Wolff) Schmidt, George Higgins, Katherine (Hamm) Baum, Peter Baum, Magdalene (Wolff) and Paul C. Sehnem. The vehicle in the background behind the group was Peter Schmidt’s new 1911 McIntyre truck.
Picnickers en route to a lime kiln. Those pictured were not identified, and the specific year of this photo is not known.
Threshing machine and wagons at John Besch’s farm. John Besch, born November 10, 1860 to Michael and Katherine (Schramer) Besch, married Regina Hoffman in 1885, and the couple had ten children. The original family farm was located along Geneva Road until 1910, when the family moved to Carson Farm, located on Pleasant Hill on Jewell Road, where they remained until John’s passing in 1919.
Chris Armbrust and his tow truck, the exact year is not known.
Railroad Bridge over the DuPage River
Railroad Bridge over the DuPage River. The exact year of this photo is not known, but Louise Spanke included short memories of Winfield residents at the end of her book, Winfield’s Good Old Days: A History, in 1978. Among those regarding the DuPage River was Ernest Besch recalling that fishing and skating were popular activities at the river. He even mentioned that he and his friends would make rafts out of old railroad ties from the Chicago, Aurora, and Elgin railroad (north of town), and they would float them down the river.
John Schramer and buggy
John Schramer and a horse-drawn buggy in front of Forester’s Hall. Located at Winfield and High Lake Roads (locale of current fire station), Forester’s Hall was built in 1902 and was the entertainment center for early Winfield. Dances and other social activities that brought residents of the town together took place here, and this was also the meeting place for the Winfield Social Club and Catholic Order of Foresters. Forester’s Hall was remodeled in 1942 into a station for the Winfield Fire Department. The building was demolished in 1973.
The second Winfield train station
The second Winfield train station, built in 1854, along the south side of the railroad tracks. Hedges Station, built by John Hedges, was Winfield’s first depot for a five-year period, 1849-1854. Andrew Van Deusen, a Winfield storekeeper, acquired Hedges Station in 1854, but he proceeded to move his business closer to Chicago Avenue and this new depot pictured. Look closely and you will see the Peter Schmidt Meat Market and Home along Chicago Avenue in the background.